Simply b Photos » The Big Blue Bus Tour

Alaska Grown 2010

Living in Alaska is kindof a big deal. Ask anyone who lives here. You either love it or you hate it. My grandfather homesteaded up here just after World War II. He flew for the Alaska Air National Guard. My dad was a member of the Alaska Air Guard too. Jake served 10 years with them (until he transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard a couple years ago). We have a proud Alaskan heritage. I was born here. Our children were all born here. (Except for Sam. Who has the distinct honor of being born in Albuquerque while we were in flight training.) Alaska Grown is who we are.

Living in Alaska isn’t for the weak of heart. We have long, dark winters. Although Kodiak seems almost tropical after our time in North Pole. (Hello 50* below 0!) We’re isolated. More so in Kodiak than any other place we’ve lived. Did you know the only way to get here is via airplane or a 10 hour ferry ride? Shipping can cost you an arm and a leg. And flying to the “Lower 48″ can cost you your firstborn!

Alaska is diverse. We have wide open spaces. And vistas that take your breath away. Every single day I’m in awe of the beauty that surrounds me. Craggy Mountains. Ever heard of Mt. McKinley? Ocean views. Bears that roam the streets. Moose too! (Not in Kodiak though.) Whales. And eagles… boy do we have eagles. Hundreds of them… often in one tree! We have good folk. Really, really good folk. Hard working and friendly. The kind who will stop and help change a tire. Or just ask if you need a ride. Alaska is a pretty amazing place to live. And we’re proud of it.  And even if you are here a short time, when you leave you take a piece of Alaska with you.

Several weeks ago Brandi Norkus, the owner of Belles and Beaus (our local children’s boutique), messaged me on Facebook with a suggestion for a photoshoot. An Alaska Grown photoshoot. Babies lined up wearing Alaska Grown onesies! I was immediately excited about it! We sent out a call for those who may be interested. We were looking for babies who could sit but that weren’t walking yet. We had a phenomenal response. We had to limit the shoot to six babies, although I would have loved to do more! These were the six whose names were drawn. They could not be cuter!  Thank you to their moms who were such great sports.  I LOVED this opportunity and cannot wait to do it again next year!

Without further ado…

Alaska Grown 2010 and proud of it!

undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined

March 2, 2011 - 11:21 am

Danielle - Oh I love this!

March 2, 2011 - 11:23 am

Becca - SO cute!!! And now I need to get my hands on both a tie-dyed and pink onesie. M had a blue one, but has since out-grown it. I love that she was born in AK and will be able to tell everyone that one day… there IS a bit a pride in that!

March 2, 2011 - 11:54 am

Emily - Oh my goodness, SO CUTE!!!

March 2, 2011 - 11:56 am

Beth - Ok, I am cooing all OVER the place at these!!! They are all so cute and I think my smile will be permanently plastered on my face for the rest of the day thanks to these. And I totally need to order some Alaska Grown tees for my kiddos.

March 2, 2011 - 11:57 am

Becky Dustin - What a FUN idea…and you did a GREAT job with it. I would have loved a camo onsie like that for Seth when he was born. We definately wear that badge with pride.

March 2, 2011 - 12:05 pm

Heath - It would be really cute to see a photo shoot with these babies next year showing how much they have grown!

March 2, 2011 - 12:25 pm

camille Duckworth - Those are just adorable. I LOVE babies, so I cry just looking at such beautiful babies…but then yes, once you have been to Alaska it finds a place in your heart! And I have two Alaska (born)grown babies. That I’m super proud of! Wonderfully written and photographed! Thanks so much for sharing.

March 2, 2011 - 1:33 pm

Amy Earle | Simply b Photos - @Heath, I LOVE that idea!!! That would be perfect!! Thank you!

March 2, 2011 - 2:15 pm

Becca Houvener - They look great! I love them! It was so much fun!

Thank you SO much Amy and Brandi!

March 2, 2011 - 6:32 pm

Jenna Deason - These are great and you nailed exactly how I’d describe Alaska. Sigh.. I shall miss it when we transfer this summer. But we’ll likely be back and I’ll look forward to that day! :) Until then I’ll live vicariously through your 2011 shoot!

March 2, 2011 - 7:17 pm

Ashley Garrett - Amy! You truly are amazing!!!

March 2, 2011 - 10:49 pm

Amy Earle | Simply b Photos - Thank you everyone! I LOVE getting comments! They just make my day!!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Share to: