This moment. Oh, I’m in love with this moment. It’s Sunday morning at 11:42am. We’re driving through a small town in Louisiana. The windows are down and it’s a lovely 79* outside. We’re listening to “Wherever We Break Down” by Levi Lowrey. A friend recommended it and it could easily be an anthem for our family right now (Thanks Kathryn!). Good music, good weather, and a road trip. My heart is happy.
We didn’t mean to be here, in small town Louisiana, but there was an accident on the freeway and it’s closed, so we’re on a detour. We’ve traveled only 50 miles in the last two hours – but in this moment I’m filled with joy. Enjoying the journey.
We have a long day ahead of us today. We should make it to Tallahassee, Florida by the time we are done. We’ll cross Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama to get there. Our long day today will be followed by a long day tomorrow as we make our way to Fort Lauderdale to catch our flight to Puerto Rico.
We made it! 10 hours and 500 miles today and we’re tucked into our hotel room. Well, not tucked actually. Josh is down in the laundry room and Jake is taking Miss B’s carseat apart to wash it. She peed in it and it stinks like an outhouse. She must be dehydrated because her pee smells toxic. Sam is watching Chopped on the Food Network and Miss B is jumping from bed to bed in our hotel room trying to get all her energy out.
Tomorrow we hope to get an earlier start and make a little detour through St. Augustine on our way to Fort Lauderdale.
A few notes about our trip.
1. It’s weird to not have Jacob with us. I think about him a dozen times a day.
2. Jake and I have a goal to read The Book of Mormon cover to cover in March. It’s something we did last March and afterwards we decided to do it every year. I can’t read while we’re driving (motion sickness) and so we’re listening to it as we drive. It makes me happy.
3. I’m participating in Rachel and Oliver DeMille’s Mentoring in the Classics. I can’t say enough about how wonderful it is. This month we’re reading and discussing Pride and Prejudice. It’s such a great book and I’m happy to be reading it again. As well as participating with the DeMille’s discussions, BFF Kim and I are discussing the books together. So we’re also listening to P&P audio book on our drive too.
4. We miss the bus. A lot.
5. As much as I miss the bus, I’m happy to have a bathroom in our hotel room.
6. We drove through Mississippi today and had lunch in Biloxi. I’ve never been to Mississippi before. That was cool.
7. I love my family.
8. At the end of a long day of driving when we’re all tired and hungry, sometimes we don’t like each other very much.
9. In 36 hours we’ll be boarding a flight for Puerto Rico. Can. Not. Wait.